Tuesday, November 7, 2017

P.B.L Volcano

                                                                                      This is my volcano model.
This is a composite volcano. A composite volcano is a volcano that is very tall and steep.
(I made my volcano with lyric)

       
              
       


Here is a little description of volcanoes: 

Introduction
There is one big question and that question is what are volcanoes. Then there are more questions alongside it like how they are formed, how they erupt, why they have vents,what is magma and what is the earth's crust. What is the answer? Well you’re about to find out.

How do volcanoes form?
Volcanos form by trapped magma pushing its way through the earth's crust to reach the surface. When the magma reaches the surface it explodes out and is now called lava, the lava keeps pouring out of the crack in the earth until there is no more magma to come up. Then the lava cools and turns back into its normal form stone which causes a volcano to form.

How do volcanos erupt?
Volcanos erupt by the tectonic plates moving around which activates the magma to rise. When the magma rises to the top of the volcano it turns into lava and explodes out of the volcano. After about 1 hour (if not longer) the volcano will stop erupting and the lava will cool and turn back into stone.It turns back into stone because magma forms by rocks melting beneath the earth then it turns into magma and then when lava cools it turns into stone or pumice. Pumice is formed by gases still in lava when it cools that forms pumice.

What impact do volcanoes have on the world we live in?

Negative
Positive
Destruction/Damage is caused by the lava burning trees and houses.
Pollution/Ash pollutes our water so we have no drinkable water, also we can’t use showers.
Lava/Gases burns trees, houses and fences which is harmful to animals, people and lots of wildlife.
  
Farming/Ash helps with the soil around crops. Ash is good for the soil around crops.
Heating is made by the lava in the earth's crust.
metals are made when the volcano erupts lava, and then then when the lava cools it turns into metals, pumice, ash and stones/rocks.
   

How I made my volcano
I started my volcano at home and I painted the grass and put chicken wire in the shape of the volcano.
The next day I took it to school ready for term 4 so I could start my volcano.
When the time came to do my volcano Lyric and I Paper mashe the chicken wire 3 times then we left it over night to dry. Next we painted our  volcano brown and waited for that to dry so we glued the houses and trees onto our volcano. By the time we had done, the brown paint was dry so we did the lava and did a second coat of brown paint then left it over night to dry. Finally it is Friday so then we painted over the dried glue splodges on the grass and under the chicken wire then we did  another coat of brown paint and did the ash in the lava then left it over night. On Monday we did one last coat of paint then left it and we were done.
That is how we made our volcano.   

Reflection
One learning muscle I have stretched is my collaboration muscle because I worked with lyric and I am not strong with that learning muscle because I am independent and I don't like working with other people.

Something that was challenging was paper maching my volcano because when ever we went to do another coat there were holes in it so we had to keep going until there were none left.

One thing I enjoyed was creating the model because I have always liked to made models and do art so I enjoyed making the volcano itself.







No comments:

Post a Comment